Finding connection during COVID-19?

21:21:00 Kikoprincess 0 Comments

It's unprecedented, like it has been said many times before, it's all over the media. Everywhere we look, there is fear, panic buying of toilet paper/pasta/ all kinds of weird things.

All of a sudden we were stuck at home in order to save lives. This restriction led to a sudden surge in loneliness. And I was pushed, like many to communicate and reach other to others in a different way than before. In some ways, I have actually re-connected and contacted people more while in physical isolation than when we were able to meet face to face.

As part of this process, I explored some online dating and signed up to some free trials to see what was available. I tried this a few years ago, but at the time, there really wasn't much interest. Surprisingly, or unsurprisingly, there were more people looking to reduce their levels of loneliness than ever before. Random strangers were making contact with me.

I wasn't sure what I was looking for. Something to do? Something to fill the emptiness that gym doors closing could not fill? Companionship? A date? a feeling of being desired? Genuine long term connection? A future partner?

It was an interesting experience. In the short 2 weeks of exploring online dating, many people had contacted me, varying results between the different sites that I tried. Some truly objectified me and quickly tired when they figured out that I wasn't going to exchange their time for sexual gratification, Some had fascinating stories to tell. Some had no social skills. And one... took my breath away.

But what happens after this pandemic. Do these friendships and relationships last? When our lives return to normal, how do these people fit?



You Might Also Like