Cherishing those who are dear to us

20:54:00 Kikoprincess 0 Comments

When I went to visit her by her bedside on the weekend, I knew it would be the last time I would see her for a while. It wasn't the first time I had stood by her bedside while she had ailing health. Yet, it's still a little surreal to receive news that one of my best friends at church passed away.

When I saw her, I had to leave the room, tears automatically streamed down my face. I recovered enough to join the group prayer by her bedside. Yes, if God was willing, he could heal her. And if it wasn't part of God's plan, we were ready. My fondest memories were running away from her giving me gifts at church, yes, I wasn't being chased around the church hall by a 2 year old, but a 90 year old lady. She would always be the first one to greet me after the church service with my full name. We would hold each others hands and feel a deep connection. Not like the handshakes you get by half-hearted strangers or acquaintances but of best friends.

Seeing her in my mind's eye still brings a smile to my face. She was a rebel. She was naughty- when we told her not to go for huge walks in the sun, she refused, despite her health and age. Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional.

As everyone said their goodbyes on the weekend, I wasn't saying my goodbyes. I was saying "see you later". God has rooms prepared for us in heaven, and I hope I will see her there, with all her smiles and quirky love.

"My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?" John 14:2




RIP Grandma Lee.

You Might Also Like