Movie Review: How to fall in love (2012)

20:44:00 Kikoprincess 0 Comments

I'm a big fan of cheezy hallmark channel movies, and here's another one.

Movie summary: Guy meets girl (again). Many years after their date at high school freshmen home coming, boy meets girl again. But now girl is struggling to make ends meet and boy is less awkward. In a turn of events, girl needs more money and offers to be a dating coach to the guy.

Lesson 1. Self confidence. Being attractive means having a positive view of oneself.
So they set about making him feel more fit, buying him new clothes and getting a hair cut.

Lesson 2. Break the ice. Hi my name is xyz, I just wanted to introduce myself.

Lesson 3. The art of conversation. The basics. Listening and asking questions.

Lesson 4. Start sharing. Talking about the things that matter to you. Your passions.

Lesson 5. Make her feel special.

Lesson 6. Getting close.

Lesson 7. Compromise.

Lesson 8. Follow your heart.


My thoughts: I love a little romantic comedy. You start watching knowing that the main characters will go through some trials and eventually be together. This time, the girl is actually encouraging the guy to be a good date for other girls. The actors aren't overly convincing but it's not a hollywood blockbuster. It's suited for a nice girls night in. And the content is suitable for most teenagers but really geared towards older females.

Actually, I don't think the movie if entirely fiction. Having worked with individuals with aspergers or social anxiety, I believe the tips suggested are quite sound pieces of advice! And they even do what I do! Role plays.

But what really got to me was the fear that I would become like the main character Annie. Right now, it feels like I'm in a bit of a slump. And I'm working so hard to help those around me find their happiness, and build up other people's confidence, inspire them to pursue God more. But me, I feel stagnant. Secretly I feel like a failure as an academic. Worthless. But over the last couple of days, I feel that God has really listened to my prayers- like he always has. But he has shone a light and given me a glimpse of a future only he can see.

Indeed, if I had to pick a favourite chapter of the bible at the moment, it would be Hebrews 11. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+11&version=NIV It's about all these people in history having hope in a future, living for that hope. And most of these people died not seeing the entire promise being fulfilled. Even though I can not see God's plan for my lifestory at the moment, I have faith in the unseen.

Hebrews 11:1. Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.  This is what the ancients were commended for.
By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

希 伯 來 書 11: 1

信 就 是 所 望 之 事 的 實 底 , 是 未 見 之 事 的 確 據 。

古 人 在 這 信 上 得 了 美 好 的 證 據 。
我 們 因 著 信 , 就 知 道 諸 世 界 是 藉 神 話 造 成 的 ; 這 樣 , 所 看 見 的 , 並 不 是 從 顯 然 之 物 造 出 來 的 。




You Might Also Like