Everyone starts somewhere

18:46:00 Kikoprincess 0 Comments

Just gotta start somewhere.

response: 12.5 writing rules. http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/writing-rules/



But here are the rules and my comments


1. If you write every day, you get better at writing every day.
In the first year of my PhD I attended a talk that suggested we can finish our PhD on time if we just wrote 200 words a day. Well, three years in and I haven't kept that goal. But But But. It's not as easy as it sounds. One of my papers went through 26 revisions, full revisions. I kept re-writing the 5000 words... again and again. 
2. If it’s boring to you, it’s boring to your reader
Academic writing doesn't have to be boring. Cumbersome writing is time consuming for the writer and reader. Make a point and make it clear. 
3. Get a writing routine and stick with it
We were taught to use 2 golden hours. Basically, if we are productive for 2 hours a day then the rest of the time we can spend checking facebook, running errands. My routine is that I wake up, do my morning devotion, exercise, breakfast then start writing. After this writing time I can check email, etc. 
4. Poetry does NOT have to rhyme. Poetry does not NOT have to rhyme.
Not that relevant here. Because academic writing does have to be punchy. Get to the point. 
5. Resist stereotypes, in real life and in your writing.
Step outside. I remember getting a really good mark in undergrad because I applied knowledge from a completely different field to the essay content. If you are a psychologist, don't just associate with psychologists, get to know other people and their fields of work. You never know when you are going to be inspired. 
6. Writers read. Writers read a lot. Writers read all the time.
Very true. Read read read. Whether it be academic articles, textbooks, clinical journals. These people got published, they must be doing something right!
7. Make lists of your favorite words and books and places and things.
I have ideas journals. Keep it handy. 
8. There doesn’t always have to be a moral to the story.
OR academic talk, the data doesn't have to be significant. Something I have learned is that p<.05 is not the be all and end all. I got a first class honours writing about results that aren't significant. I got my first first-authored publication with results that aren't significant. 
9. Always bring your notebook. Always bring a spare pen.
Take notes all the time. Of everything. 
10. Go for walks. Dance. Pull weeds. Do the dishes. Write about it.
Well, probably not. But do have a life. If you are stuck in the office all day, I doubt you are productive for most of it. Get some exercise, let your mind relax once in a while. I get my best ideas on runs, in the showers... not at the same time of course. 
11. Don’t settle on just one style. Try something new!
Keep experimenting. 
12. Learn to tell both sides of the story
Dont' just critique past research!
12 ½. Stop looking at this poster. Write something!





Forever Reign 
Hillsong LIVE
A Beautiful Exchange
Key of C

Intro:
C5 (8x)

Verse 1:
        C
You are good, You are good
你真好 你真好
When there's nothing good in me
無人能與你相比
        G/B
You are love, You are love
你的愛 你的愛
On display for all to see
完全向世人顯明
        C
You are light, You are light
你是光 你是光
When the darkness closes in
當黑暗向我靠近
        G/B
You are hope, You are hope
你是我 的盼望 
                           C
You have covered all my sin
我的罪全都洗淨


Verse 2:
You are peace, You are peace
你是我 的平安
When my fear is crippling
當恐懼抓住我心
You are true, You are true
你信實 不改變 
Even in my wandering
甚至當我遠離你

You are joy, You are joy
你是我 的喜樂
You're the reason that I sing
我歌唱單單為你
You are life, You are life,
你賜給 我生命 
In You death has lost it's sting
死亡失去了權柄


Chorus:
C                       G/C                    
Oh, I’m running to Your arms,
Oh 主 我奔向你胸懷
Am I’m running to Your arms
我奔向你胸懷
                   G/A
The riches of Your love
你豐盛的大愛
     G           F
Will always be e-nough
永遠與我同在
            Am       G       F
Nothing com-pares to Your em-brace
你的擁抱 何等甘甜
             Am         G    F (C) 
Light of the world, for-ever reign
世界真光 永遠掌權

Verse 3:
You are more, You are more
有更多 有更多 
Than my words will ever say
超過我所想所求
You are Lord, You are Lord
你是主 你是主
All creation will proclaim
萬物都宣揚述說
You are here, You are here
你在這 你在這 
In your presence I'm made whole
遮蓋我所有軟弱
You are God, You are God
你是神 你是神
Of all else I'm letting go
為你放棄全所有

Bridge:
Am             F
My heart will sing, No other name
我靈歌唱 別無他名 C      G  (F)
 Jesus  Je-sus
耶穌 耶穌 (x4)

You Might Also Like