We belong to the day

13:14:00 Kikoprincess 0 Comments


from facebook forward
And so I have failed again and again. But I am just a mortal, a human, a flawed creature. I have fallen to temptation too many times over the last month. To date, I have spent over $1000 in a range of things: laptop, camera, clothing, airfares, gifts for people. I could have saved myself at least $150 over the last month from things that I didn't NEED to buy. This money could have been better donated to the needy and to further God's kingdom.
When I get a bonus, I get tempted to spend the entire bonus in a month. And this month, I failed. I could justify each of my purchases, but these would be EXCUSES.

I am so blessed that God loved me despite my many failings. He loves me even if I am flawed. And he loves me enough to want to help me out. 

I know I can overcome this because he promised that he would not let me be tempted beyond what I can bear. This is a fantastic chance to prove that I can have self-control with God's strength. I am no longer a weakling, I CAN DO THIS! Because through God nothing is impossible.

13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13
Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. James 1:12

Coming from a clinical perspective, here are some tips to overcoming compulsive shopping habits
- Limit access: If you shop online, get offline. If you shop at the mall, don't go.
- Distractions: Keep yourself occupied with alternative activities
- Make a public commitment so others can hold you accountable
- Chop up your credit card, decline a raise in credit limit, put it in the freezer, do not take it with you. 
- Do not make shopping a secretive affair, if you really need to buy someone, take a friend: let them know that you have a budget and make sure they help you stick to the budget, without buying other things too.
- Ask yourself, do you need this? 
- Ask yourself, how many third world families can you feed if you did not buy this?
- JUST STOP IT!




 

We belong to the light, so let us not act as if we belong to the world anymore!!! I, KIKOPRINCESS is weak, flawed and unable to control my present shopping situation. BUT with God's strength, I can do it!

1 Thessalonians 5

4 But you, brothers and sisters, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief. 5 You are all children of the light and children of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. 6 So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be awake and sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, get drunk at night. 8 But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet. 9 For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. 10 He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. 11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.


even with faith as small as a mustard seed, we can move mountains!






You Might Also Like