Caution

11:43:00 Kikoprincess 0 Comments

Habits, by their very definition are hard to eradicate. When one has a host of bad habits, breaking them one by one takes time. And often it's easy to slip up. I am a fundamentally flawed creature with many bad habits and traits. Some of those flaws include: obsessive compulsiveness about finding out information, online shopping, watching tv, playing solitary computer games, pride, procrastination... the list goes on. With God's help and grace, some of my bad habits have been reduced somewhat. I can now proudly say that I have been K/T Drama free for the last few months. The only tv that I watch is 10-30 minutes of the news in the morning with my breakfast and one episode of a HK tv drama which lasts for 20 minutes. This is a substantial achievement that needs to be celebrated :D. I have also deleted sudoku and solitare from my idevice and the withdrawal symptoms are gone. 
Over the last week though, I have had a few slips in terms of my shopping. I have spent more time online shopping than I had actually intended. This was a complete waste of time. Time that could have better spent studying or furthering God's kingdom. 
In addiction research, we differentiate lapses from relapses. This I will call a slip or lapse, but not a relapse. It's just important to pay attention to their minor lapses in judgement and to fix them before they become even worse or escalate into a full blown relapse. It's easy to make excuses for myself saying that I have never spent beyond my means or I have tonnes of savings or I deserve to spend this time and money on myself. At the end of the day though, we are simply caretakers of the time and money God has provided us. It is NOT ok to waste time nor is it ok to waste resources he has blessed us with. 

I am a sinner and even with my training in addiction treatment/research, I cannot fix myself. BUT Christ who has even overcome death can provide us with strength to conquer our weaknesses and completely transform us into new beings.

13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4


But because I have wasted a significant amount of time over the last week, I am becoming anxious about the accumulation of work. I still have a huge stack of assignments to mark, papers to write, posters and lectures to prepare. It's so overwhelming that I felt like giving up. And so overwhelming that I'm procrastinating. Please Lord help me overcome! Give me strength to push through this!!! In Jesus' name, Amen.


6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4

So until next time, even if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can move mountains :)

You Might Also Like