Don't walk, stand or sit!

07:07:00 Kikoprincess 0 Comments

I was watching a devotional by Mark Hall today (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b37dKCZYXHk#!) and he was talking about Psalms 1. Psalms 1 is a verse that I try my best to live by. I try not to walk, stand or sit in sin. And sometimes, I can come across as quite extremist. It's not that we are not allowed to do certain things but these are choices we make to gain the favor of our Lord; we are set aside, different from the world. I choose not to WALK, STAND or SIT in sin. Once upon a time, I would do things like illegally download music, "sample" grapes, gossip about people, pay people out, hold grudges, watch violent movies, dwell in Korean dramas/computer games instead of studying, neglecting my responsibilities by shopping, chatting, etc. And sometimes there is that temptation, but with God's help, I try to overcome. 
So based on the first verse, I often try to CUT things out from my life. Cut things that are keeping me away from God and His love. Uproot things in my life that are causing me to be associated with sin. 

What today's devotional taught me is that I need to also PLANT myself in God's word. I can't just remove behaviours, because I'll just substitute it with another behaviour. I need to plant myself firmly in God's word and delight in it. 

So while it is good to uproot behaviours in our lives, it is also good to make sure we are firmly planted into the foundation of Jesus Christ!

Psalm 1

1 Blessed is the one
   who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
   or sit in the company of mockers,
2 but whose delight is in the law of the LORD,
   and who meditates on his law day and night.
3 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
   which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
   whatever they do prospers.

 4 Not so the wicked!
   They are like chaff
   that the wind blows away.
5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
   nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.
 6 For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous,
   but the way of the wicked leads to destruction.

You Might Also Like