More careful the second time around

07:45:00 Kikoprincess 0 Comments

First times always special. There is always anxiety and fear of the unknown, but at the same time there is this exhilaration of exploration. You take care to make everything spectacular, you might experiment with ideas you have in your mind.

Then the outcome may not turn out how you like it to be. There is sweetness, richness and flavour but the after-taste may cause you to reflect on the ingredients. 

Part of my personality dictates that I don't like to try things -again. They say practice makes perfect;  seems to me like a waste of time. If you can't do things right the first time, give up, change, make something else. Lately, I have come to realise that the advice of old is wise advice. We should persist, not give up, reflect, refine and reform. 

And so, today I am trying again. The second time around. I made a batch of cookies last week that were good enough. But I don't want to just be good enough. I want to be better. This time, I am taking more care to measure out the ingredients, more time to allow the different processes to happen- things to cool down, set and form. And even if the outcome may not turn out better, but at least I would have done my part. 






[EDIT]

But this metaphorical baking comes from inspiration from this mornings devotional, Ecclesiastes 3. There is a time for everything. I am thankful for the first batch or that season of my life. Indeed there is a time to weep and a time to laugh, ... scatter and gather... search and give up... keep and throw away... tear and mend... silent and speak... 

I am thankful for the experiences that have given me joy and grief. A question we often ask clients is: if you had the choice to experience love (but it has to come with pain) or experience nothing at all, what would you pick. I would choose to experience love and pain than nothing at all. Anhedonia is terrible experience of nothingness- not being able to feel joy in the things that used to make you happy. 

In my next "season" I will be more careful to persist, not give up, reflect, refine, reform. I will allow things to cool down, set and properly form. 

Ecclesiastes 3

A Time for Everything
 1 There is a time for everything, 
   and a season for every activity under the heavens:
 2 a time to be born and a time to die,
   a time to plant and a time to uproot,
 3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
   a time to tear down and a time to build,
 4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
   a time to mourn and a time to dance,
 5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
   a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
 6 a time to search and a time to give up,
   a time to keep and a time to throw away,
 7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
   a time to be silent and a time to speak,
 8 a time to love and a time to hate,
   a time for war and a time for peace.


“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” 
― Corrie ten Boom

You Might Also Like