The secret to a great relationship?

02:00:00 Kikoprincess 0 Comments

I'm starting to think about the content of relationship seminar part 2. Part 1 was all about finding the right one. Part 2, should be about how to maintain the relationship.

After thinking these few months, I have realised something, not a new revelation, but something I am working towards. It's not only about finding the right one, it's about becoming the right one, when the one comes. My list is growing everyday, through personal experience, and observations of the relationships of others. 

-- Someone who finds the greatest joy in God and not earthly things
---> I also want to seek first his kingdom
-- Someone who is positive and happy most of the time
---> I also want to be radiating joy
-- Someone who is prompt, or is accountable. 
---> I also want to be someone who is prompt and respect the person, and the time
-- Someone who is with you when they are with you. 
---> I also want to be technology free and not distracted when I am by your side.
-- Someone who likes to travel and is adventurous
---> I also want to be fit enough to travel with you
-- Someone who is patient enough to wait for me to want to change
---> I also want to become a less critical person
-- Someone who can look after themselves, and doesn't make me worry
---> I also want to be an independent person that chooses to rely on someone else
-- Someone that can provide for themselves and is responsible in what they do
---> I also want to be self sufficient and not make financial issues a source of conflict
-- Someone who understands that I am dramatic
---> I want to become less dramatic and less sensationalising
-- Someone who doesn't lie to me
---> I don't want to be a liar either, help me Lord, to speak only the truth.
-- Someone who pays attention to my likes and dislikes
---> I want to know all about that person too
-- Someone who makes me feel like I am their world
---> I want to make that person feel like they are the only person in my world too
-- Someone who helps me problem solve, and gets me through tough times
---> I want to be a source of support for my future partner too
-- Someone who doesn't just agree with me, but corrects me when I am wrong
---> I want to be strong enough to be a decision making tool for that person too
-- Someone that doesn't make me feel used.
---> I also want to make that person feel loved and worthwhile.
-- Someone who is willing to sacrifice something important to them for me
---> I also want to be willing to sacrifice and make compromises for this person.
-- Someone who can make it all ok but just talking to me or holding me
---> I also want to be able to make things ok by just being there.

But really, Jesus is right, there are only two commandments. One is to Love God with all your heart, soul, mind, strength. Finding someone else who tries their best to live out this commandment will ensure that you are heading in the same direction. 2- to love each other as you love yourself. Relationship truths can be found in this. Just treat others how you would like to be treated. Relationships is a two way street. If you want something, you must also be willing to give. 

Haven't met this person yet, or maybe just like "How I met your mother", I have met this person and I just haven't figured out they are the right one yet. But, in the meantime, looks like there is still a lot of work for me to do...


Matthew 22:37-40

New International Version (NIV)

 37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”




You Might Also Like